Living an engaged and meaningful life.
Gifts of the Mature Life
Our mature years are a time to attend to our inner and outer world in a way that we could not when we were speeding over the surface of things. Older persons have a large reservoir of experience to draw from.
Weaving memories together, finding the patterns and digesting the learning, is a huge job. This is where elder-as-artist begins to dawn. The power of creative imagination wells up in old age for just this purpose: to digest a lifetime of experience, mine the gems, and transmit that insight to the next generation.
“The real difficulty of old age is seeing it as an affliction. We give up on creativity, adventure and love because we are old. We narrow our lives and limit our possibilities because of this thinking.” — Victoria Howard, PhD
What is Conscious Aging?
Conscious Aging is an emotional wellness program designed to give mature adults the tools and resources to live meaningful and productive lives while coping with life’s unavoidable stresses. It helps us to recognize the opportunities available at this stage of life in order to provide us motivation and inspiration for continual growth and engagement, as well as to move forward with lives that demonstrate wisdom, depth and creativity as our legacy.
Here are The Center for Conscious Aging core beliefs:
- Certain specific and invaluable abilities grow and peak during this stage of our lives.
- Our mature years present a unique stage of life with associated psychological and spiritual tasks— ones that provide us prime opportunities for inner growth and deep fulfillment—for growing into truly mentoring leaders at the pinnacle of our life journey.
- The mature life can be a time of passionate engagement and service in our communities–rather than being a time of withdrawal from service.
- Engagement and service at this stage is more powerful and satisfying if it is grounded in “being” rather than “doing.” This way of living is informed by our deep experience and the guidance found within.
- It is vital to do the inner work, which supports wholeness–the hallmark of true wisdom.
- Our challenge today is how we can embody our vital role in a modern youth-oriented world.
- Supporting others committed to this path is critical. Providing such support is the mission of The Center for Conscious Aging.
What we do
PRESENTATIONS FOR OLDER ADULTS
These are two-hour learning opportunities for midlife and older adults to promote lifelong learning opportunities for people of all ages on topics related to the eight dimensions of wellness held at various locations. Gatherings give participants a chance to connect with others and learn about community resources.
TRAININGS AND WORKSHOPS
Assorted workshops guide participants through the meaning of positive aging in a supportive group format. Workshops provide the skills needed to confidently grow and build a life of meaning and purpose in a supportive community. The goal is to harvest the opportunities of aging while coping with the stresses.
PERSONAL CONSULTATIONS AND SUPPORT GROUPS
These are available for individual guidance, life planning, and heartfelt listening. Facilitated by a trained spiritual counselor that allows individual to discuss the challenges they are currently facing. One-on-one interactions and group formats allow for open sharing while receiving support to address these challenges. Group members learn from each but do not give advice.
Professionally facilitated communication can improve family relationships by facilitating interactions with compassion and empathy. Guided conversations emphasize proactive, non-judgmental and beneficial outcomes for everyone.
CORPORATE AND ORGANIZATIONAL TRAINING
Trainings to staff and those who work with older adults to assist in understanding the developmental needs of older adults. This understanding can help in program development to more effectively meet needs and improve communication.
This is an opportunity to get your name and business out in front of an older demographic. Sponsorship entitles you to join our resource list of preferred vendors.
What Drives Us
Founded in 2013, we bring research-based information from professionals in the community. We use this information to inform our understanding of the needs of older adults and design programming that brings the latest offerings in the field to older adults for inspiration, reflection, and social connection.
If you would like to RSVP for our programs, inquire about a program specifically for your organization or you would like more information, please contact:
Center for Conscious Aging